Taking care of the planet is significant for human well-being, so using Eco-friendly substitutes is being trended widely. If we talk about printing options, a variety of them are available in the market. However, most are solvent-based printing inks with numerous hazardous environmental impacts of Eco Solvent Ink.
Why are solvent based inks not safe for the environment?
Solvent-based inks are not Eco-friendly because they contain organic solvents like toluene, xylene, and cyclohexanone. These chemicals are volatile and produce harmful fumes in the air while printing. These fumes can be toxic and contribute to air pollution, which can negatively impact human health and the environment. Moreover, as solvent-based inks are hazardous, they must be disposed of cautiously. If the proper disposal methods are not undertaken, then they can become a threat to human life, wildlife, aquatic life, and the overall environment.
This is why industries are switching to eco-friendly printing options and adopting Water-based and Eco-solvent printing inks to avoid environmental deterioration. So, in this article, we have come up with some comprehensive information about Eco-Solvent Inks. Learn how choosing Eco-solvent options can let you enjoy plenty of benefits in the long run and save the dear earth from adverse environmental effects.
What is Eco Solvent Ink?
Eco-solvent ink looks like an ordinary solvent-based printing ink used for an inkjet printer. However, it is made from eco-friendly constituents. The eco-friendly solvents are derived from organic resources like glycol esters or glycol ether esters taken from refined mineral oils. These solvents are biodegradable, so they break down in the environment. Moreover, they do not emit Volatile organic compounds that are harmful to human health & trigger various diseases like asthma and bronchitis, etc.
What are the benefits of using Eco Solvent Ink?
Eco solvent ink is also used for printing banners, signage, and other media like solvent-based ink but still has greater utility than solvent-based ink because;
- It is environment-friendly and made from natural resources that are not harmful to the environment. It does not release Volatile Organic Compounds into the environment like the traditional solvent-based inks, so it does not cause air pollution.
- The ink is water and scratch-resistant and a good alternative for various outdoor and indoor applications. It is also abrasion-resistant.
- The ink offers a high-quality print with vibrant colors and a wider color gamut.
- The ink is odorless and does not release an unpleasant odor on paper or other media as solvent-based ink does.
- The ink is good for a wide variety of media like paper, plastic, wood, fabric or vinyl, etc.
- The one-time cost of installing the Eco-solvent ink printer may cost you more, but Eco-solvent ink cartridges are less costly than that solvent-based ink cartridges. So, it saves you bucks in the long run.
Why can Eco Solvent Ink be a shady deal?
While there are loads of advantages to using eco-solvent ink, there are some disadvantages, too, that can make using Eco-solvent ink a shady deal. However, we believe that eco solvent ink is still a better choice than solvent-based ink. Here are some disadvantages you should be aware of in order to weigh the merits of eco-solvent ink against its disadvantages so that you may be able to make a wise buying decision.
- Eco-solvent ink printer is quite costly, and you may need to invest a fortune to buy them because of the advanced feature and technology. However, the cost of the cartridge is lower than that of the solvent-based ink cartridge, so it saves money in the long run.
- The drying time of this ink is slower than the solvent-based ink, so printing takes greater time. Moreover, Eco-solvent ink printers are slower than traditional printers, so they prolong printing time and reduce productivity.
- The ink is formulated to work on a variety of media, but it may not be compatible with all materials. Some material requires a specific coating to work with eco solvent inks.
- Eco-Solvent inks are not good for outdoor applications because the ink cannot withstand extreme weather conditions like very humid environments or heavy rains. Adverse weather impacts the prints, and they may not last for a longer time. However, it is more durable and long-lasting than other substitutes if the weather is moderate. That is why this type of ink is more suitable for indoor applications.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How long does Eco solvent ink last?
Eco-solvent is very durable and long-lasting in moderate weather conditions. It is waterproof and abrasion resistant and can last up to three years or more in normal condition.
Does Eco-Solvent Ink fade?
Eco-solvent ink is fade-resistant, waterproof, and scratch-resistant, provided that the weather conditions are not extreme. If the weather is very humid, then the ink may fade away sooner than the expected time.
Are Eco-solvent inks harmful?
No, not at all. Eco-solvent ink is eco-friendly and safe. This is why it is popular in communities nowadays. The link does not contain volatile organic compounds like solvent-based ink that are harmful to human health as well as environmental health. The people using solvent-based inks are exposed to several health hazards like asthma and bronchitis etc.
What can you print with eco solvent ink?
Eco-solvent inks can be used on a variety of substrates and media. You can use it on paper, wood, vinyl, plastic, fabric, etc. Eco-solvent inks are good for printing on banners and signs that will be used outdoors, as well as good for indoor applications.
Overall, Eco solvent ink is a great substitute for environmental concerns and human health. However, it has some downsides too. One must weigh the benefits against the cons to understand how important it is for our environment to replace hazardous constituents with eco-friendly ones. We hope this article will be of benefit to you. See you in the next editorial.